Lawyer. Editor. Writer.
Specializing in media and contractual law, I am a bilingual, award-winning lawyer and editor with extensive business experience in Canada, the UK, Japan and Switzerland. As a content provider, I have worked with many highly respected companies, including DentsuBos, CloudRaker, Bleublancrouge, BOB, KOZE, GH+A Design, Spafax, The Federation of Law Societies of Canada (FLSC), Quebecor, CJAD Radio, CBC-TV, Just for Laughs Festival, PSB Boisjoli, and Aiglon College, among others.
As a lawyer, I have negotiated contracts for Academy Award winners, Grammy nominees, multiple film production companies, advertising agencies, animation houses, large-scale publishers, well-known retailers, start-ups, and many other creative-media clients.
With three degrees from McGill University (BA, BCL, LLB), big-firm training (Borden Ladner Gervais) and years of in-house and advisory experience (eg. Yellow Bird Project), I advise clients on a wide array of issues, including copyright clearance and agreements of all types (employment, freelance, settlements, etc), and I am actively involved in contract negotiation and drafting for the music, film, and publishing industries, among others.
As the former Editor of the Montreal Mirror and Strut Magazine, and ex Executive Editor of enRoute Magazine, I have published articles in Canadian Lawyer Magazine and in the CBA’s Addendum. My editorial work has appeared in Time Out London, enRoute, the National, Strut, Royal Wings, AOL, and Cycle Canada to name a few.
- Feb 2017 – Opinion on a recent judgment, co-authored with Colin Lachance, in Canadian Lawyer: http://canadianlawyermag.com/6329/When-are-public-documents-too-public-A.T.-v.-Globe24h.com-tests-the-limits.html
- Nov-Dec 2016 – My just-published article on cybercrime in Canadian Lawyer Magazine: http://www.canadianlawyermag.com/6229/Fighting-cybercrime.html
- Commentary LinkedIn: RIP Emails: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/rip-emails-ava-chisling?trk=pulse_spock-articles
- June 2016 – My article on intellectual property and education in this special issue of Canadian Lawyer Magazine: http://digital.canadianlawyermag.com/i/683766-june-2016
- March 2016 – Proud to judge the 2016 National Magazine Awards and the Kenneth R Wilson Awards.
Social Media Sites
Issuu – More than 60 published articles